The Director of Security is responsible for all facets of Campus Safety and Security. The Director of Security will maintain and update security plans, provide safety and prevention information and presentations to students and staff, and ensure compliance with the Campus Safety and Security Act and all related federal requirements. This person is responsible for maintaining and compiling security incidents, statistics, records, reports and daily campus crime logs required for federal compliance. A high degree of student and staff interaction is expected. Primarily weekday responsibilities, some evening and weekend work is required. This position reports directly to the Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs.
Job Responsibilities -
- To understand and commit to the Mission of the College ~ To provide challenging and diverse opportunities for the pursuit of learning and to enhance personal and community development in a responsible, accessible and learner-centered environment.
- Directly supervise, train and evaluate Security staff members – both full time and part time
- Ensure compliance with the Dodge City Community College Crisis Plan/Emergency Response Plan and serve as a member of the Campus Security Task Force
- Serve jointly with the Security Coordinator as the designated “Key Emergency Response Person” for the Campus Emergency Response Alert System.
- Responsible with the Security Coordinator for scheduling and maintaining sufficient coverage on all shifts during vacation, sick leave, holidays, and special events
- Serve as a liaison with local law enforcement agencies and emergency personnel
- Enforce parking regulations and monitoring of large groups and special events
- Maintain confidentiality on all records, reports and incidents
- Patrols parking area on campus grounds to enforce college rules and regulations and for the detection of safety hazards
- Inspects buildings for illegal entry or vandals, to prevent theft or destruction of property and equipment
- Provide security escorts on campus and deliver emergency messages upon request
- Responsible for insuring that all reports are complete, accurate/grammatically correct and coordinate the necessary follow-up for further investigation
- Responsible for ordering all necessary equipment and supplies for use by Security officers and ensuring upkeep and maintenance of security vehicles
- Attend classes, seminars and conferences that will enhance job knowledge and benefit the college
- Responsible for verifying the accuracy of personnel time cards and completion of required payroll forms in a timely manner.
- Be punctual and dependable when reporting for duty.
- Ability to recall and record information in a concise and accurate manner
- Exhibit professional manner and appearance in performing safety and security duties on campus and in the community
- Ability to work in both inside and outside work conditions for extended periods of time, subject to temperature changes
- Ability to work closely with Residence Life staff, Human Resources staff and other appropriate college employees
- All other duties as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications -
- Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice or relevant field and/or equivalent work experience
- At least five years experience in Law Enforcement or Security
- Three years experience supervising Law Enforcement or Security staff
- Ability to meet the public
- Ability to make public and campus presentations
- Must have good written and verbal skills
- Ability to interact with members of the community and project a positive image of the college at all times
- Must comply with all college policies and procedures
- Computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups
- Knowledge of Kansas criminal statutes, federal and local regulations
- Current Kansas Law Enforcement Certification
- Must possess and maintain valid Kansas Driver’s License.
- Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice or relevant field
- Prior experience in teaching or training of Law Enforcement or Security staff
- Firearms Instructor Certification
- Prior experience with College or University Security
- Emergency medical response training
Applications accepted until position is filled.
Application package consists of a completed DCCC application, resume, cover letter, unofficial copies of transcripts (if applicable).
For more information, contact:
Dodge City Community College
2501 N. 14th Avenue
Dodge City, KS 67801-2399