Cosmetology Instructor (night classes)
Under the general supervisor of the Director/Instructor of Cosmetology, this Full Time position provides supervision for Cosmetology students in salon activities, maintain standard of achievement as required by the Kansas State Board of Cosmetology, the Cosmetology Industry and Dodge City Community College. The Cosmetology Program will operate as a business enterprise meaning that teaching and managing are very important. Night Class schedule.
- To understand and commit to the Mission of the College ~ “To provide challenging and diverse opportunities for the pursuit of learning and to enhance personal and community development in a responsible, accessible and learner-centered environment.”
- Supervises the salon floor (Monday thru Friday).
- Teach/ Supervise classroom/Salon (Lab)
- Prepare salon for operation by students in the Cosmetology Program, maintain classroom, lab, and equipment in a well-organized manor.
- Assist students with client consultation on desired services.
- Assist students with performance of service whenever necessary (i.e. teaching students advanced styling, cuts, per waves, etc.)
- Check students completed services on clients.Helps assist the clients with their needs before, during and after services.
- Make sure that a formula has been done for the chemical service performed (for future references of other students).
- Schedule appointments for clients and help students schedule appointments.
- Help with the dispensary when the students are busy.Count the money drawer and close out the computer at the end of the day.
- Prepare the money bags for the office.Help students with monthly mock State Board.
- Follow established Kansas State Board of Cosmetology procedures and policies Inspect Rollabouts for preparation of inspection of State Board Inspector.Setup and grade weekly State Board practices.
- Do timesheets for State Board.Help the students with their timesheets.
- Help assist when students drop class.Accompanies students on fieldtrips and hair shows.
- Perform janitorial duties to keep the classroom and lab in a well-organized manner and advise when equipment needs attention Ability to work with diverse group of individuals.
- Valid Cosmetology and Instructor’s license from the Kansas Board of Cosmetology.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other instructors, division coordinator and supervising Dean to promote, deliver and support high level of quality instruction.
- A cosmetology instructor license shall be renewed every two years by furnishing satisfactory evidence that the applicant, except the first renewal period following licensure for the applicants not hold a cosmetology instructor license on the effective date of the act, has completed 20 clock hours of continuing education approved by the board in the practice of cosmetology and teaching skills and methods, and by paying the nonrefundable license renewal fee established.
- Leadership and management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Desire to work with people and organizations to further awareness and education in the Cosmetology field.
- Participate in various professional associations.
- Able to practice conflict resolution skills.
- Able to operate calculator, video equipment, telephone answering machine, telephone, copier, and operate equipment in the lab.
- Ability to work with chemicals normal for cosmetology field.
- Able to prepare lab and classroom for daily activities.
- Able to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree.
- Desire to keep current on developments in Cosmetology field.
- Desire to increase and maintain formal education.
- Continued evidence of proficiency and developing expertise within areas related to Cosmetology studies.
- Field and management experience.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Applications accepted until position is filled. Application package consists of DCCC application, resume, cover letter/letter of interest, and unofficial copies of transcripts.
For more information, contact:
Office of Human Resources
Dodge City Community College
2501 N. 14th Avenue
Dodge City, KS 67801-2399