DC3 News

DC3 News

DC3 News

Maes and Wedgewood Ink with 4-Year Schools

Apr 30, 2014

DODGE CITY, Kan. – Dodge City softball coach Howie Smith is pleased to announce Mackenzie Maes and Haley Wedgewood each signed a national letter of intent and will continue their softball careers.

Maes signed with West Texas A&M, an NCAA Division II institution in Canyon, Texas. Wedgwood inked with Mayville State, which competes at the NAIA level and is located in Mayville, N.D.

“Both programs are receiving players that know how to compete in the classroom as well as on the field,” Smith said. “This is what Dodge City is all about. A player can come here and work hard and earn a scholarship at a four-year school. I’m extremely proud of them and I know they’ll do great.”

Maes, who appeared in 43 games and batted .400 is excited to join her future teammates at WT. 

“It’s definitely exciting and I can’t wait to step on campus,” Maes said. “The school is great, the facilities are amazing and I’m walking into a perfect situation. West Texas is currently the No.1-ranked team in Division II. It’s going to be a challenge to earn playing time, but I’m ready for it.”

Wedgewood, who batted .322 is eager to suit up for the Comets.

“When I took my visit I knew that it was going to be a perfect fit,” said Wedgewood, who will play for former DC3 softball player Ashley VandeVeen. “It’s an exciting time but I’m going to miss Dodge City and all of my teammates and friends.”